Article: Inside & Out

Residential Tenancies Regulations Insulation RequirementsResidential Tenancies Regulations Insulation Requirements

In the process we have found many homeowners with very different insulation problems they want solved. So with our experience, and extra studies we have learnt the most effective ways to insulate homes. Whether it is for noise or to keep homes warm, we have a solution for pretty much every situation.

The recent RTA regulations ratified by Government have many Landlords unsure about the details and implications. So let me explain in laymen’s terms.

• Houses that have insulation, must meet the 1978 NZS4246 standards, which was R1.9 in the ceiling, and R.9 under floor.

However most older insulation was of poor quality and will have settled, therefore more than likely not meet those standards, and need a ‘top up’. It states that the levels need to be up to the 1978 NZS4246 levels described earlier.

• Houses with no insulation must meet the 2006 NZS4246 standards, which is R2.9 for ceilings and R1.3 for under floor.

*Note that the current 2006 standards will be replaced with the new 2016 NZS4246 standards in July this year. However, one can assume that the RTA levels will remain as stated.

• Landlords have until July 1st 2019 to have their rentals up to the new requirements.
Landlords and property managers must divulge the insulation in the ceiling, outer walls and under floor to all prospective tenants. Note walls, although wall insulation is not a requirement under the RTA requirements, but must be stated if it has or has no wall insulation.

Smoke Alarms

• The proposed new smoke alarm standards will require a minimum of one working smoke alarm within 3m of each bedroom, one in each out room, and in each level.

The Landlord is responsible for checking that they are operational prior to a new tenancy, and tenants are responsible for replacing the batteries when required.

• ALL rentals must have working smoke alarms by 1 July 2016. As the old alarms pass their date of expiry, they must be replaced with 10 year photo electric models.

Pilkington Insulation Ltd Cover Northland and Auckland, and have specialized in existing home insulation for 10 years, including existing wall insulation.

• Our assessors have the skills required to assess ceilings, walls and underfloor, and provide a comprehensive assessment (with photos) and quotation to bring the insulation up to RTA requirements.

• We also provide a certificate of compliance, which can include a test of smoke detectors.

• We use top quality products that do NOT settle in time, therefore will not need ‘topping up’ down the track. All our work comes with a 15-year warrantee.

• See our advert on this page for our special offer.

Proudly serving the Auckland and Northland regions
Phone : 0508 WARM UP (0508 92 76 87)
Mobile : 0274 753 986
Email : .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Leave your comment

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.